View Single Post
Old June 18th, 2009
Riding a Pale Horse and Wielding THE Sword of the Forum

Peerless is a jewel in the rough

OK...you have the owner's permission...kewl...I for one refuse to give advice on how to hack a workplace's network...that's not exactly kosher and can get this website shut down with the current laws in place...

in my first response in this thread I advised using PG2...have you done that?

here's the reason I ask...certain companies are being paid to DDOS the network and its users...recently I have noticed a marked increase in the severity of the attacks...now, if you are NOT using PG2 then you are wide open..PG2 will at the very least have a large number of these companies blocked and that will mitigate the effects of these attacks...note I said mitigate...I've been getting attacks at the rate of over 100/s recently from 3 specific organizations....

if you do decide to try PG2, you will notice upon start up of BS that an iMesh connection is attempted...in BS you will notice it as an attempt to connect to BS servers...this connection attempt is to get a list of hosts to be able to connect to....I found that since I don't use BS everyday that allowing this connection to happen (by right clicking on the attempt in PG2 and allowing the connection) results in getting connected quicker and gaining full UP status in minutes....if you use BS daily and are therefor keeping your cache of available hosts up to date then perhaps you need not allow this connection...

again, I can't more strongly advise the use of PG2 when filesharing...

at this point you have been apparently using BS without what I consider proper firewall protection and for all I know these paid henchmen of the RIAA/MPAA have already infected your machine with software/scripts that totally prevent you from getting connected...have you tried connecting using another machine?...it might just be that taking the time to backup data, formatting and doing a clean install might solve your issues...

PG2 is just a mini-firewall made specifically to black a list of certain IP addys...this does not replace a normal firewall rather compliments...i.e. you NEED a real firewall for a lot of reasons, not just using the gnutella network...

So Long and Thanks for All the Files

Beware of the big 3 insurance companies in Texas! Read your policies carefully (maybe you'll need a lawyer) Allstate, Farmers & State Farm are overextended and their 'coverage' is worthless...a true waste of your money Read This