Thread: Outdated nodes
View Single Post
Old July 1st, 2009
ContraBanned

Lord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputation

Summary advice: use another 'proper' gnutella client that is up to date with present gnutella network protocol & technologies. PHEX would be my first suggestion. Coincidentally whilst searching giFT on these forums, I came across someone else who used giFT & they discovered Phex to be a far superior program; becoming their favorite gnutella program. (And that post was a few years ago.)

giFT is a little outdated too. Development on it stopped at least 3 years ago AFAIK. Not to mention it is not considered a proper gnutella client; it is simply a plug-in. http://www.gnutellaforums.com/genera...5458-gift.html <- et voilą tested most gnutella clients he came across & knew what he was talking about with their behaviour & effect on the network. giFT was based on older gnutella technology & didn't behave well compared to other gnutella clients after updates in gnutella protocol. (btw after reading comments & changes made with the giFT gnutella plug-in to be spamming search & retry messages every few seconds .. I would not be surprised if many of the present gnutella clients/ultrapeers auto-banned them due to their aggressive & nagging behaviour. Depends on version however.)

A possibility is you take connection caches from other gnutella clients & compare them to the "gwebcaches" file you have. See which is in same format. Then save the file as a basic plain text file with no formatting, removing the .txt file extension. Name as gwebcaches.

Make sure you are using giFT 0.11.8.1 at least. (Apparently one of the 0.11.7 versions was accidentally lacking half the libraries & would not connect to the gnutella network.)

This is what I found on a devs forum:
Quote:
I just converted all domain name's in the gwebcaches file (from http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.p...Gnutella/data/) to ip adress's, see attachment.

1. Download "gwebcaches.txt"
2. Rename "gwebcaches.txt" to '"gwebcaches"
3. Save it in the directory "/mnt/usbfs/.giFT/Gnutella"
4. Run Giftd and see how it connects to the Gnutella network
That link is obsolete btw.

Another thought is Shareaza uses the giFT plug-in for gnutella. You could possibly use a shareaza connection cache. There are various gnutella client caches spread around the forum, just need to find them. lol
One possibility is to install the "Official" Shareaza 2.4 version (versions higher than v.3 are fake), then use that cache or adapt it I mean.

Unless anybody else out there has any ideas?

Last edited by Lord of the Rings; July 1st, 2009 at 04:36 PM.