View Single Post
Old December 3rd, 2009
Valued Member

ukbobboy01 will become famous soon enough
Default Browser Security

razzell2

Like Peerless, I have never had this "System Security Virus" pop-up happen to me, however I do have my browser's pop-up blocker switched on along with other security precautions.

These traps usually catch the unwary or naive surfer but people who keep their wits about them are usually immune to such "old school" tactics. For example, I remember these silly pop-ups back when I used to use IE5.0 and early IE6.0. Back then the only way to deal with them was to re-boot your PC, not click any part of the pop-up box.

I can only imagine that you responded to this bogus "security alert" and, in so doing, downloaded malware onto your system which caused you to fall right into some criminal's (aka hacker's) trap.

Anyway, the best way to prevent such things happening again is to make sure your browser's pop-up blocker is switched on, that you have other browser defences running on your PC, like Spyware Blaster, SpyBot's immunisation's facility, etc., and, most importantly, a good dose of common sense.

Simply put, there is nothing that can protect you (or your PC) better than the ability to see something that is not right and backing out of it.

UK Bob