View Single Post
Old April 30th, 2002
Disciple

RusselHarvey is flying high
Default Think again !!! before you make some damage

People get pissed off because of teh spy/ad ware exist in some Gnutella client software, in the meantime, the maker of those spy/ad ware are making money from Gnutella network's free resource. Wait ... from where?

Sometimes from observation, people tend to jump on the direct conclusion with the easiest express path. For instance, if you are running Bearshare with spyware, and donwloading file from my disk, the profit that you are making should have some share that I've contributed, or did I?

A simpliest question often forgotten to be asked: Why in hell do these user who more than likely already pissed off by the spyware and complaint all around the world, in real life, are still using Bearshare? Why didn't they swtich over to any of these many other Gnutella client on the earth? Did any of you who jumped on the 'openxxx p2p' bandwagon ever bother to ask yourself this question?

Let me try this, the spyware is not exactly target to make profit from Gnutella share files, but rather attempt to exploit a way to sponsor the software development.

Now back to the question that why those bearshare users are still using bearshare, it's simply because they like bearshare, period!!

This whole open Gnutella network brought us a good thing, that is anyone can develop a Gnutella client software, to offer to user for a choice. To use bearshare regardless the annoy spyware is truly a user choice. It can only because bearshare is better than other software in it's usability, connectivity, or whatever, that is in this user's view.

It's your choice to develop a better software to compete with bearrshare if you can, at any time. The fact is, most freebie are under developer's spare time work, often inferior to those back by some financial support.

To ban bearshare or any other software client with spyware will not stop developer's attempting to seek financial support as naturally they want to spend more time on it but also bring income by do that work, hope this is not something hard to understand.

The ideal result of course, is most of Gnutella developer join in one or a few of development group, concentrate on a single or a couple of client software, instead of this free competition mode of Gnutella client software. Though the premise is an unite commitee sort to settle on the proposal with priority when developers have disparate opinion.

Last edited by RusselHarvey; April 30th, 2002 at 12:28 AM.