View Single Post
Old May 25th, 2001
Apprentice

mpaasucks is flying high
Lightbulb LimeWire Suggestions

I would like to say LimeWire should be the primary gnutella program of use. It works for a wide selection of OSes, uses better features and operations (searching, d/ling, etc). I give many props to LimeWire trying to improve the gnutella network. I've been using LimeWire for the past 2 weeks and have succeded in many downloads but I've noticed alot things that could be "tweaked" a little to get optimal performance out of the network at the present time.

[ title ] - will be referring to the tabs in limewire.

my suggestions
--------------
[ search ]
· have a "smaller" max character limit for searching

· encourage users to search for keywords not "the_ripped_movie(divx)1of2.avi"
- keywords would actually produce more results

· have the "cancel" for the selected search as in v1.3
- i have to click "stop" then click "x" to exit
or right-click and "close search" or its just me. The one button cancel was alot easier.

· even though you have a feature to drop "greedy" queries. it would make since to
stop them at the search entry (can still search for "that_song.mp3" in LimeWire 1.4x).

· have some kind of checksum for search entries (people are searching for imcomplete files ex: N1-2506752-The Band - The Song.mp3 which is causing congestion). People actually think that it is the filename associate with that file. I'm assuming you have some type of "order check" because all imcomplete/downloading files have a different prefix to the filename. This would be a cool fix to Resume files in your imcomplete folder (searching for the specific keywords in the filename and hopefully finding a file with the same size and some other file checksum for that file type. Maybe comparing the first bits of the file?).
In shorter words something to stop people from searching and sharing incomplete files as with the prefix you assign.

[ connections ]
incoming
--------
· feature to kill a host that is not accepting connections
- happens when a host has 0 amount of hosts during a specific duration. (People are starting to "Force" (Force IP) their IP to an invalid IP. Thus making other users not able to connect to them.

[ options - uploads ]
· the upload speed preference on bandwidth is great but it is also screwing downloads.
when a user with a cable/dsl or higher has the sufficent bandwidth and puts his
upload speed to 0.0 KB/s. Why even bother downloading when its going to take you
some odd hours for a file ~2MB @ 0.0KB/s,
(2MB @ 3.5KB/s -average download speed of a modem user- takes ~10 mins). while they have their
upload speed so low their downloading like crazy from other people, almost "freeloading").
- the minimum upload speed should be 3.5 KB/s. It doesnt really affect you're
downloading. Just your connections to other gnutella users. which shouldnt matter
because you're either already downloading files you've searched for or you've
already been uploading files that someone has searched for. after downloading
and uploading, you'll resume connections to other users for searching. Inform users how to manage their bandwidith with TTL, Connections, Upload Limits, etc.

· make it default or an option of having some type of limit where the same file can only be uploaded once to anyone at any time. I had some guy taking up all my upload slots with the same file today and I'm on a modem!

[ options - filters ]
· automatically drops messages from hosts that have the ip address 0.0.0.0 or any other invalid
ip address numbers over 255.255.255.255

[ options - advance ]
force ip
--------
· removing the manual entering of the "forced ip address". Many users are forcing their ip
addresses to 0.0.0.0 or some other ip address that is not theirs or invalid. this means
those users can make outgoing connections but no one can make incoming connections. resulting in
the network becoming small segments. Just have LimeWire find the true IP address to the user's host.

queries
-------
· drop "invalid" queries. I've noticed it doesnt matter how many hosts I'm connect to I still get these ~100(char. length) invalid character (ex. †ÒŽÒÙþ) queries.