View Single Post
Old December 19th, 2009
Novicius

kellieo16 is flying high
Default HELP, first time LW user! Same problem

fSame exact problem, not sure where to start to try and fix it. Limewire is an exception on my firewall. thats i really know to do. ive also uninstalled and reinstalled it
1. OS version? (eg: Windows 98) If using Windows Vista, please tell us whether you have an Administrator user account.
Answer: Vista, administrator user account
2. What firewalls you have?
How do I check all of them? Have mcafee security center, says limewire has "full access" when I check the allowed programs. I read somewhere, that you could have multiple firewalls?
3. How much ram?
200gb
4. Hard Disk space available?
192gb
5. Connection type? (eg: dialup, broadband, cable, etc.)
Im not sure, i think broadband?
6. Modem & router brand name & model numbers? (eg: Linksys WRT54Gv4)
We have a qwest actiontec dsl wireless modem model number GT701-WG
kjm fsserr
7. Where are you trying to connect from (house, appartment complex, school, student accomodation, work, etc.)?
home
8. What version of LimeWire (LW) & Java do you have? (Go to LW's menu Help bar > About LW...) Will show both LW & Java version. _ Click to see Sample image
*It's very important that you tell us whether you're using LW 5*
answer LW 5, the newest, I just downloaded it
lw 5.46 pro
java 1.6.0_17
9. Who is your ISP (Internet Service Provider)?
qwest
10. Do this simple test for us. Using your browser go here: http://www3.limewire.com:6346/ The page should say 'Your test worked!'. What happens when you go there?
cant connect
11. Are you sharing the connection with other computers or p2p sharing programs? If yes, please give details of set up.
no
12. Is this a your 1st try at LW or is this a new problem with an experienced user.
1st try at lw
13. Do you see a brick wall in front of the blue world icon at the bottom of LW's interface? _ click here to see Sample image
If you're using LW5, there's no firewall icon. In LW go tools > advanced tools...there you'll see whether you're behind a firewall or not.
Click on thumbnail to enlarge the image.
firewall status.jpg
says "incoming searches people on p2p are now searching for...." other than that i dont really see anything, just a blank set up
14. For those using a modem/router, how is your modem/router set up...are you port forwarding or is UPnP enabled?
how do i tell??
15. What security programs are you using (antivirus etc)? Some people might not be aware that their security suite includes a firewall
mcaffe
16. What country are you living in? Sometimes there are ISPs with the same name in more than one country (eg Clearwire in the USA & also in Ireland).
United states
17. Has anything in your setup changed recently? Have you updated your version of LW or Java? Have you added any new software or new hardware? Have you updated any software? Have you moved house, changed internet plan or ISP etc etc?
First time LW user, havent even connected for the first time.
This information can be vital
For instance, some ISPs are known for blocking p2p/throttling bandwidth, some connection devices are known for being unreliable in certain situations.

So please, help us to help you & provide as much info as you can.
If you're new to LW or new to computers & aren't sure how to answer some questions, or don't know what an ISP or router is - just say so. Nobody's going to yell at you
Even if you can't answer all the questions in one go...don't worry. Do the best you can & we'll take it from there.