View Single Post
Old February 15th, 2010
Devotee

cnshht is flying high

Ok, this is a really old thread so I guess I can use it to follow the suggestion that I post to freshen-up my activity here ("Hello cnshht it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?")

Due to the nature of my connectivity, I've been unwilling to risk sharing my files for quite a while, thus endangering my associates, here in the USA where legal threats from large corporations and their sponsored organizations.... I thus felt like a leech and my P2P activity was minimized. I was away for a while....

I came back and found the above-described phenomenon in full force. Valid search results were deeply immersed in trash, to the point where my searches were sometimes completely futile. My theory is similar to that above. Certain corporate interests are funding a deliberate spoiling of P2P by intercepting search queries, generating matching trash files, and quickly sharing them. I was able to wade through the trash by using careful queries and avoiding the "matches" described above. But it quickly occurs to me that a well-funded group employing script-writers and programmers can cripple P2P with ever-more complex routines that basically result in ever-increasing denial-of-service....

And public discussion of the phenomenon might even help those spoilers, so I feel gagged by my own preference for filesharing freedom. If anyone sees this and wants to offer a peptalk or a few links to help me fight the spoilers in my spare time, ...that would be welcome.