Thread: The New Xolox
View Single Post
Old May 2nd, 2002
Unregistered

You people are like AOL users, you need to get a clue!

Searches don't "stop", they keep returning results even after you turn your computer off!

Once you send a search down the network, and it's called a "query" the query travels down the network through each node & the nodes that are connected to that node, branching out all over the place.
Sometimes you may even get your own query returned past your box! (did I lose you yet?)
A query hit has a TTL (Time To Live) of about 7 and that is a setting on REAL clients. So it will be passed by up to 7 nodes then die. NOT 7 TOTAL NODES! Think about the branching, use those nurons. It's about 10,000 or so nodes later that your search dies.
If you turned your computer off after sending out a query, those "search hit" results would travel back over the network trying to find you (they have a TTL also), and this takes up network bandwidth. So even if you pressed a "stop" button, the results come back but are just ignored by your client.

Now if you send that same query again after only 10 seconds, do you think the old search query has reached all the nodes yet? You are still waiting for query "hits" to come back from the first one.

Not knowing how all this works and flooding the network with searches is bad. However, if your client had a setting to limit the time on re-searches, you could set it and probably feel secure knowing it won't send another one for a while (like 3 or 5 minutes to get back all query hits).

Why am I wasting my time posting to a bunch of people who don't care about the network and wouldn't understand this anyway.
I see your eyes glazing over as you get boored and want another beer, or is it your football game is on?
Go have a beer and forget this post even exists.

And as for "the search results can find more hits for rare files" are you stupid? All queries are the same on Gnutella, XoloX does nothing special except if it is still flooding the network, and then your client is getting "special" attention while screwing up the network for everyone else.

and "XoloX will simultaneously download different segments of the same file" so will other clients, and they let you know whats going on.

Why not do it right and just have a little box that says "what do you want?" and then after you type in something, another button lights up and says "here it is", with no indication of what it's doing.

Thanks for taking the responsibility to help keep the network flowing. Don't worry, someone else will do it for you, go have another beer.