View Single Post
Old April 23rd, 2010
ContraBanned

Lord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputation

Matter of opinion of course. I have both LW 4.16 & 5.5.8. Now LW 5 has implemented many of the tools missing from earlier LW 5 versions that were in LW 4. My comments above in my previous post were a combination of my own experience & knowledge of improvements made. I like both. I have thousands of files shared in LW 4 with lots of information added to them.

The original LW 5.0 release was a bare bones program with not much in the way of tools. Only from about LW 5.3 through to LW 5.5 did these tools & improvements get re-added from LW 4 and some additions that LW 4 does not have.

LW 5 looks quite different. The default search results window looks different, however you do have choice between search results view options. The Classic view is equivalent of the LW 4 search results window. Uploads window is now on main window (using tabs but is different to LW 4.) Library & shared files are also on the main view window (excluding the default blank window when you first open the program.)

LW 5 does not have Chat option for normal use, only for Friends options. ip addresses are no longer shown, these are replaced with pseudo names. Descriptions of files are different system & LW 4's descriptions are not applicable to LW 5 if you swap across. Also to access the description/details of a file it is shown in a separate popup window.

With LW 4 Explore button function shows a folder a directory level above the file, whereas LW 5's system takes you directly to the file & highlights it on your desktop.

Cancelling downloads in LW 5 also deletes the incomplete file, unlike LW 4.