Thread: confused
View Single Post
Old May 13th, 2010
Valued Member

Blackhorse 70V is a great assister to others; your light through the dark tunnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cglace View Post
so do you feel it is still ok/safe for me to continue to share/download from this person.
I suggest you remove the particular file from your computer and then not upload any files for awhile, unless you are certain that there is no copyright infringement. (Remember, the contents your Incomplete folder are automatically shared while you are downloading them.)

I received a notice from Comcast after I had downloaded a CAM copy of a movie.
The three mistakes I made:
1. CAM copies are usually not very good at all - wait for the DVD.
2. CAM copies are especially targeted by the MPAA, since CAMs are most often copies of movies that are currently playing in theaters.
3. I did not purchase the video from an authorized source (happy, MPAA?).
It also turned out to be a lousy movie.

With music, one would expect that new releases are the ones targeted by the RIAA. However, older songs are also on the watch list. No doubt, some are those that no one would pay money to own, but are still connsidered popular. (Such as, Don't Worry, Be Happy)

While the entertainment industry is most concerned about uploaders, or seeders, some individuals have been sued for downloading copyrighted files. Bottom line: there is no safe way to break the law. The good news is that many recording artists, and some video producers, are now placing their prorperties into the public domain. If you like their work, send them some money and they'll produce more. Instead of 'purchasing a CD', you could be 'sponsoring an artist'. kewl

Torrents provide an alternate format for p-p filesharing, and are not limited to the Gnutella network. LW is capable of downloading torrents, but is banned from some torrent sites. There are better, free torrent downloaders, (such as Vuze and uTorrent).