View Single Post
Old May 2nd, 2002
Gnutella Veteran

Dividend is flying high

Why has the connection bandwidth requirement gone so much higher? With 2.3.2, I could have 10 ultrapeers and use less than 1k/sec. Now having 3 uses at least 2k/sec (this is a guesstimate since ZoneAlarm is repeatedly flickering green, my lo-speed DSL modem's lights are always flickering, and the windows connections manager is always reporting activity, but there is no accurate meter like in gnucleus) Could it be that 0.6 connections are being used and being reported falsely as ultrapeers? I thought the 'peers were supposed to shield leaves from heavy bandwidth requirements sorta like fasttrack.

Second, the search horizon seems lower, as i get fewer results (like 2000 in 2.3 vs. 1000 in 2.4) for a generic search like "blink 182". That might be because of the 3 'peer limit, which won't save when I enter more. 2.3 always connects to 10 ever since i entered it in the limwire.props. This was also tested within the same hour, so little bias should lie there.

Last, the bars still don't save their positions. Only the search windows' bars are choosable, resizable, and saveable. Truthfully, my low rez screen don't have enough room for a 100 pixel bar containing a 10 pixel smiley. And making the smiley/chat bar larger than the progress bar makes no sense to me. PLEASE put this in. I beg of you!

I haven't been able to try any downloads, so i'll post back later on those, but it seems there may already be enuf reports on those.