View Single Post
Old June 6th, 2010
Valued Member

ukbobboy01 will become famous soon enough
Default Cleaning and Speeding up Windows XP

marykran

I am also an XP user (XP Pro SP3) and I have also used Windows95, 98 and XP Home in the past and the one thing they all have in common is that they all need regular housekeeping (cleaning, both registry and HD) to keep them at peak performance.

But first, you need to know which applications that start up when your windows starts up, i.e. the more that start up the slower your PC.

In order to control these apps I use a little free utility called Startup Control Panel, using this utility will give you the control that WinXP doesn't readily give you.

Secondly, you should also have in your arsenal Periform's CCleaner, this free app will clean out all the text and log files that various apps (including windows) seem to create all around your HD.

Next, you should clean up your browser, you see all PC browsers pick up cookies and other debris during a browsing session and in some cases this rubbish never gets deleted, although if you get CCleaner you wont have to worry about this particular point.

Most browsers will have Options/Preferences under the Tools menu that will allow you to delete Internet rubbish your browser has picked up.

Finally, you will need a registry cleaner, I have found that when using most windows applications they tend to have a detrimental affect which, in turn, slows down your machine. In particular, Limewire usage tends to tear up the registry settings leaving it with loads of incomplete endings.

To sort this out I use Norton Utilities, which I believe has replaced Norton System Works, there is a 30 day free usage period on this application and I would strongly suggest you give it a try.

Once you have done all of the above you will then find that your regular defragging will be more beneficial than it currently is.

Hope this help.

UK Bob