View Single Post
Old June 7th, 2010
ReTired

Sleepless is just really nice

It wasn't meant like that. It's just that without the info you just provided, there is nothing to be done. With this info I can tell you right away that it's one of many false positives from NIS.

Read more here: Re: What is WS.Reputation.1? - Norton Community

Edit: I especially loved this reply in that thread (page 11):

Quote:
You are perfectly right this has now been going on a long time - dates back to 2009. Hence this is simple incompetence/ negligence on the part of Norton. Perhaps a 100 million $ class law suite might make them recognise that this is unacceptable behaviour.

Perhaps a quick solution is don't delete the file by default but give further information to the user and a choice of action.

For example a screen could pop up that says:

Norton 2010 has detected a potential threat in the downloaded file, but due to poor software engineering at Norton there is a high chance that this is a false positive.

What action would you like to take?

1. Delete the file

2. Use the file

3. Contact Norton tech support (but don't expect a reply - but hopefully it will make you feel better)

4. Delete Norton (recommended)

Seriously Norton get your fingers out and get this sorted , as a tech support person I'm getting sick and tired of sorting out your problems with our customers - our recommendation to them is dump Norton and use a Russian sounding name!

Last edited by Sleepless; June 7th, 2010 at 06:36 PM.