View Single Post
Old May 26th, 2001
BearShare Developer

Vinnie is flying high
Default Re: That didn't help

>That didn't make it any better, still sounds like you arn't getting >your way and you are ready to do something nasty to the >network, or your users.

Not at all - I have not done anything nasty to the network nor do I plan on it in the future. What I meant by my post is that there are other servents on the network which have questionable practices, and if these practices are not corrected, then I *might* modify BearShare to work the same way as other servents.

What are the questionable practices? Dropping other servents messages, hammering other servents with short download retry times, and spreading propaganda about other servents. Yes, other people have written software that does this, and engaged in these activities.

All I am implying is that if other people can do it, why shouldn't I? I have refrained from it because it is bad for the network.

>Why don't you try counting to 30 before you **** everyone off?

Yeah I would have to count to like about 3 million for that to work.

>Vinnie, set up a router.limewire.com 6346 thing at your site,
>make your client log into that at startup and then it will be
>Bearshare Net, you can dictate and control it all!

I can control it all without my own host cache - this is not the point. I'm not trying to dictate or control anything.

When LimeWire politely asked me to take router.limewire.com out of BearShare's default list of host caches because they were overloaded with traffic, I did so.

When they asked me to put it back because they upgraded their servent, I did so.

I have even implemented special behaviors in BearShare specifically designed to HELP their crawler get around the network faster when it talks to BearShare servents, as well as provide more useful information (like whether or not the user is behind a firewall).

You don't hear them talking about this though, all you hear is people criticizing me.

It is very aggravating to me when I hear completely unjustifiable complaints about secret messages, dictatorship, or controlling the network.

I published the format of my extensions to the Query Hits portion of the Gnutella protocol, and I have helped other developers implement it.

I even shipped BearShare with the ability to recognize and give proper credit to the search results of more than TEN other servents, long before they implemented the feature, so they would have a live network to test their implementation of Open Protocol extensions (my invention). Do I get credit for that?

When I implemented the BUSY flag in the search results (among other enhancements) I consulted with some of the other developers, sought their input, and listened to their advice! And I am being called a dictator who wants to control everything?

When I added the other features to search results, I did it in an obvious way and I published the results in the GDF. Is this the sign of an arrogant *******? Or someone who is trying to improve the network?

But hey, I have a short fuse and I'm only human.

I feel like I am being stepped on, and walked all over.

I feel like there are a bunch of ungrateful *******s coming to MY forum and using it to badmouth BearShare and spread lies and rumors for NO GOOD REASON.

Do I post inflammatory messages? Hell yeah! Am I sometimes rude? Surely. Do you want to flame me personally for this behavior? Go right ahead! I've even opened up a special forum for it in the new BearShare.Net! I don't have any problem with personal attacks. I mean, if I'm willing to dish it out I should be able to take it. Its a rough crowd!

HOWEVER, I have a serious problem when false accusations and rumor mongering is giving BearShare a black eye with NO JUSTIFIABLE EVIDENCE, especially considering that my actions (mentioned above) in no way correlate with these bogus claims.