View Single Post
Old November 7th, 2010
Valued Member

ukbobboy01 will become famous soon enough
Default Netopia Broadband Router 3386 ENT Series 4-port 10/100 Switch

Dubbin

I have been reading this thread, over the past week, with growing interest, but I have not really had anything to add until now.

I found the following product description on Amazon (US) which may show the reason why you are having the problems you currently have:
Quote:
The Cayman 3300-ENT Series is a family of business-class routers designed for mass deployment in distributed enterprise and TeleSOHO applications. The Cayman 3300-ENT Series allows business ISPs, managed service providers, and enterprises to deliver business-class functionality in a compact device ideal for small branch office and home office environments.

The 3300-ENT Series supports the main access technologies for today's small office environment. Cable/DSL models with Ethernet WAN interfaces turn any cable modem or DSL connection into a secure and remotely manageable end-point.
Now, my interpretation of this description is that your router is primarily designed as a "business use only" tool and as such P2P usage has been deliberately excluded from it's functionality.

You see, for a long time now P2P applications have been seen as dangerous to have in a business environment so much so that there are protective apps that will delete any and all P2P apps as soon as they detect them, because they are seen as malware.

Also, I'm sure you know that ISPs the world over ban P2P app usage from their networks.

Therefore, taking these points forward, it would be seen as beneficial for routers, designed for business use, to automatically block P2P usage.

Finally, to confirm or disprove my idea you should call the manufacturer's help desk and ask them whether or not you can use P2P apps with their product.

UK Bob