View Single Post
Old November 25th, 2010
Valued Member

ukbobboy01 will become famous soon enough
Default Frostwire, is it safe?

Shapeshifter910

What you have said about Frostwire is very disturbing, especially the part about distributing torrents without the user's permission:
Quote:
The .networkshare is a hidden and nowhere documented folder that holds torrents that Frostwire automatically distributes without permission from the user.
However, I will confirm what LOTR has said about File_Girl's version of FW, i.e. it does not have any junk in it. Also, it does not ask you to or perform an automatic torrents download, I know this because I installed and used FW last Saturday.

But you are right about the normal version of FW, it does ask if you want to download (I think) Google's toolbar, which most free apps and utilities do nowadays (even CCleaner), and (I remember) an auto torrent download which I cancelled and deleted.

As for checking for updates, all applications do that but I understand that File_Girl's version does not.

However, I am not aware of FW uploading or distributing itself or anything else without permission and so using my bandwidth for it's own ends. In fact, that's the reason I no longer use LW because the LW org. was using my bandwidth to aid in LW distribution without any form of notification or warning.

Finally, I am very paranoid about my PC's security and I will certainly be watching out for any viral behaviour from FW but since I now use File_Girl's cleaned up version I doubt if any of the problems you are worried about still exist.

UK Bob

PS. File_Girl, you are a bright shining star, thank you for the work you have done.

Last edited by ukbobboy01; November 25th, 2010 at 11:12 AM.