View Single Post
Old January 18th, 2011
Valued Member

ukbobboy01 will become famous soon enough

Hi elianamoran

The questions you ask are somewhat difficult to reply to with a definitive answer, however I will give you answers based on my own experience. First of all, you asked:
Quote:
i need all this? i don't need two media players. i don't want two media players. i want my computer as clean as i can keep it.
I have four media players, GOM, VLC, WMP and Quicktime. I use GOM when VLC can't play or play properly a film media file. I use WMP primarily to play MP3s I purchase from Amazon and finally I use Quicktime to play film trailers of new films, like those hosted by "Rotten Tomatoes". Are they necessary, I believe so because no one media player can play all the media files you will come across.

You also asked
Quote:
i have no idea what microsoft silverlight is but i have it. do i need it?
Silverlight is an underlying video technology that allow you to play certain videos, like Flash allows you to play YouTube videos.

I can't say what videos you need it for in the US but here in the UK silverlight is used by certain TV companies so that you can "Catch Up" on programmes you have missed by using their particular player, e.g. ITV Player.

I've tried to answer a couple of your questions and I will try to get back to the others as soon as I can.

UK Bob

Last edited by ukbobboy01; January 18th, 2011 at 06:02 AM. Reason: corrected spelling mistakes.