View Single Post
Old January 25th, 2011
ContraBanned

Lord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputation

In our country, guns are 'against the law'. Now count up the percentage of gun related injuries, deaths or other kinds of crime involving guns in USA compared to rest of world. It's quite staggering. I have seen the figures, but not recently.

Without guns, there is no such risks as you suggest. Who needs a gun? Also so many gun accidents happen in USA (forgetting the gun was loaded, etc., at home, hunting, etc.) It seems too much of a John Wayne hype to have a gun, walk into town, etc. bla bla. Such an attitude I thought was from the years of the 1800's not the 2000's. The psyche in USA is so .. on the wrong foot. (Old Western 1870's style arming oneself seems never to have left the deep down psyche.)
Outlaw guns, have amnesties for gun returns including some recompense for their costs, use the propaganda of the media to train people into thinking guns are bad & not needed. And strong jail terms for possession of such after the amnesty has finished. These do bring the point home to people. It's worked elsewhere.

The gun lobby in USA is so incredibly strong. No USA government in their right mind would risk losing office due to outlawing them as many if not most other countries in the civilised world have done (ie: outlawing weapons of most descriptions.) It's a very brave step but one that should be done eventually. Will 'any' USA government be brave enough to take this step, like governments in many other countries have?

One of the issues is, there are so many arms manufacturers in the USA. They are producing so many weapons they don't know what to do with them, thus they end up everywhere .. on the streets, in the hands of people who should not have them, even overseas in the hands of USA's so called enemies via selling via agencies in friendly countries who transport/sell them to the 'other' countries. Of course the weapons manufacturers know about it, they try to mask it all. The weapons industry in USA is a big money producer, big job producer, etc. so they have so much pressure over the USA government.

How many school or restaurant or workplace multiple shootings happen in USA & how frequently? Compare that to the rest of the world. It's ridiculous. If such offenders had no such access to those weapons (instead of borrowing from parents or easily purchasing at the nearest gun store.) USA citizens seem to think they MUST have a gun for their own protection. Well, everyone survives a lot better in other countries (as statistics show), which shows guns for self defense are not needed.

Just my opinion of observation as an outsider. We throw water bombs instead. jk lol (What did I do with my water pistol)