View Single Post
Old September 25th, 2011
Valued Member

Blackhorse 70V is a great assister to others; your light through the dark tunnel

I believe that most of the tickets mentioned in the article were actually parking citations. Some New Yorkers are wondering, "17 cops - not 17,000 cops?"

Drivers cited for moving violations are issued a ticket in the form of a "Notice To Appear" in court. It describes the violation (Vehicle Code section), and indicates the date by which the driver must appear or post bail (pay the fine). A driver who refuses to sign the promise to appear will be taken into custody, and thereby made to appear before a judge or magistrate. Anyone who does not contest the citation or is found guilty of the offense will be assigned points against their driver's license.

Each state uses a different point count system. In Calif. almost all moving violations are counted as one point. Two-point violations are usually those that result in arrest, such as 'driving under the influence'. Two points on one's driving record will result in increased insurance rates, usually for two years. Too many points over a one, two, or three year period will result in license suspension.

Drivers can get one point removed by attending a Traffic Violator School for 8 hours (6-1/2 hours of actual classroom instruction), for $30. An internet course is available; drivers take a course completion test at a specified location, where they are asked questions designed to make sure they actually watched all of the videos. Removing the point from one's record can prevent higher insurance rates.

I am quite disturbed by a recent development in Mass. A lawyer there paid a $20 filing fee to contest his speeding ticket before a clerk magistrate, who found him guilty. The lawyer then paid a $70 filing fee to take his case before a judge, who found him not guilty. The lawyer was then told that his filing fees are not refundable. He then took his case to the Mass. Supreme Court, which affirmed the lower court decision. He has decided against petitioning the US Supreme court.

I am astounded by the court's decision. Cops in Mass. can now write bogus citations, all the while knowing that even if they lose in court, the county will collect $20 or $90 from drivers who are later found innocent of the charges. Unfortunately, I agree with the lawyer in that the kangaroos on the US bench would probably provide no relief.

Seems to me that London is the most difficult place in the world to test for a license.