View Single Post
Old September 26th, 2011
Apprentice

Bearsharehater is a great assister to others; your light through the dark tunnel
Default Bear Share Browser Hijacking - What Is This About?

Why did BearShare hijack my browser page? Is that one of the "features" of this program? Because that is exactly what happened.

When it all started, my home page was Google. I am running a Firefox browser. After downloading some music from BS, I noticed that my browser home page was no longer Google - now, it was a BearShare homepage. To boot, there was a big, black, McAfee WARNING strip across the top of my home page, telling me that McAfee was blocking access to this potentially dangerous site.

This can't be good, I thought - but no problem; I know how to get back to my Google home page. I navigated to Google and then hit Tools/Options and switched the home page back to Google. However, the next time I activated my browser, there is was - BearShare, complete with the menacing McAfee message.

My browser home page had been hijhacked. So I Googled "Bear Share browser hijack" and immediately saw DOZENS of sites which try to help people who have been victimized by Bear Share's hijacking of their home pages.

I spent HOURS trying to get my home page back and was finally able to do it. But I NEVER want to go anywhere near "Bear Share" again. What is going ON here? It seems that this Forum not only tolerates Bear Share, but actually PROMOTES it. I don't understand that.

Would someome please tell me what's up with this browser hijacking business and why I should even consider doing anything with Bear Share again except perhaps sue it?