View Single Post
Old September 28th, 2011
Valued Member

ukbobboy01 will become famous soon enough

Hi Joe

Like you, I am a pensioner and I also use Win XP but, unlike you, I have worked with and used computers most of my working life and, from time to time, they still baffle me.

OK, I have found over the years that Windows XP has proved to be the most stable edition of windows released so far, hence its longevity and popularity when compared to other versions of windows.

However, Windows XP, like other windows releases, still need regular maintenance otherwise you will find that some applications, like your screen saver, will just stop working or, at the very least, develop unpredictable behaviour.

I use two applications/utilities to maintain my Win XP;

a) CCleaner - This utility will clean out all the 'odds and ends' and clutter that windows creates that can mess up your registry. CCleaner will also clean up your browser(s) as well. This utility is free and available at the following URL:

b) Norton Utilities V15 - I have found this application to be an all-in-one tool kit of various utilities to maintain, clean up and keep Win XP running as good as new. This is a paid-for app but you can use it free for 30 days. This application's free trial URL is here:

Once you have used one of these cleaners (I would suggest Norton Utility first) you will find that all your applications, including your screen saver, will run as if you had just installed them.

UK Bob

Last edited by ukbobboy01; September 29th, 2011 at 12:26 AM.