View Single Post
Old April 27th, 2012
ContraBanned

Lord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputation

3D DVD/BD? Seems both TV stations and disks are heading that way now. I have a pair of the traditional 3D glasses. It's a wrestle between she and I. lol
But presently we only have a standard TV and DVD player. And I only 'just' a month ago bought a set-top to watch digital stations ... we go totally digital within a year I think. Or perhaps it's within months. I don't watch much TV nowadays so I'm outta touch. I do like watching movies at the movie festival at cinemas though with movies from world over.

I've only seen 2 x 3D DVD's, one of which I have a copy of and is a musical performance. Due to DVD's having limited space and bandwidth, quality left over for dual video modes is usually not good. BD is the way to go. DVD specification limitations were quite low for overall allowable bandwidth of video and audio combined. MPeg 2 sucks lol. MPeg2 is what all DVD's use, but is such an outdated format nowadays. MPeg 4 is twice better, and H264 is a couple times better than base MPeg 4 standard. H264 is an expanded version of MPeg 4. X264 the open-source version is even better, far superior due to a very large input from contributors to the code and has advancements other developers of H264 do not yet have.
Quote from Wiki: Warner Brothers has used x264 for commercial Blu-rays.