View Single Post
Old April 29th, 2012
Valued Member

ukbobboy01 will become famous soon enough

Hi LOTR

You know, your post above reminded me of the time when music CDs first came out, they were awful.

We were told that the sound would have have unparalleled clarity but they sounded clinical and tinny. We were told that CDs would not be affected by scratches or poor handling, unlike vinyl. However CDs suffered from bad handling just as much as vinyl did.

You may not know this but, to recreate the atmosphere you got with vinyl CD producers recorded artificial pops and crackles into various recordings, as if that would increase sales.

Only when an engineer developed a bias recording technique, which is still in use today, to make CD sound like vinyl did CD sales start to take off. In fact, I believe (unless told otherwise), from that point onwards were other recordings methods further developed to give us the quality of sound we now get from current CDs.

However, there are still those, like myself, that still prefer the sound of recordings pressed on vinyl to CDs.

I guess that I am saying, I'm cynical and distrustful when a new consumer technology hits the streets, along with all the accompanying overblown hype and hoopla.

UK Bob