View Single Post
Old June 15th, 2012
Enthusiast

brianko722 is flying high
Exclamation sway icon LW will NOT open/run with new Java 7/FX installed. Must delete and run Java (TM) 6, Update 33. Can LW be modified to run newest Java?

6/15/2012 -
Re: Java (TM) 7, Update 5/JavaFX 2.1.1, and Limewire version 5.6.2:

A new problem has arisen with the newest download of Java (TM) 7, Update 4 (and now Update 5), and JavaFX 2.1.1: I tried installing both Limewire v.5.6.2, and v.5.6.16, separately, and neither will even open with this new Java 7/FX installed on my Windows XP Professional SP3 32-bit OS desktop PC (I am assuming LW won't run with Java 7/FX installed on Windows Vista or Windows 7 computers either, but that should be tested). Limewire v.5.6.2 has been running perfectly on my PC with previous, version-6 Java Runtime Environments (JRE) installed, up to and including the last one, Java (TM) 6, Update 33, which I currently have installed. However, even if you have this Java RE (Runtime Environment) 6 installed on your PC - if you ALSO have any newer version of Java installed as well (which would be Java TM 7, Update 5, that also includes a separate download of the new "JavaFX 2.1.1" program [both are listed in Control Panel's "Add/Remove Programs" after you install Java 7, and you must uninstall them separately] - Limewire will not open. When you click to run it, you get an error message box saying Limewire needs Java Runtime Environment 6 or newer to run, and an inquiry as to whether you want to be redirected to the Java download webpage to install the newest version. If you click "Yes", your browser will indeed automatically open to Java's newest-version download page. However, installing the new Java 7/FX causes LW not to see a usable version of Java Runtime Environment in order to run. You must be running Java RE 6 ALONE. Then you can use LW v.5.6.2 without any problems, as before - but that leaves you with Java (TM) 6, Update 33 ONLY on your computer. Running an older, outdated version of Java like this leaves one's PC open to security threats, as well as to the possibility that other things will have problems when trying to open and run with an old version of Java installed as time goes on. Also, Oracle assigns an end date to the "lifetime" of a particular version of Java, so Java (TM) 6, Update 33, is already scheduled to end in the coming months since it's an outdated version.

I am hoping someone can create a modified download of a useable version of Limewire that will run with whatever the newest JRE is that Oracle happens to release, now and in the future (i.e., indefinitely), so we can continue to enjoy using Limewire no matter what else is installed on our computers. Thanks to everyone involved for creating this modified download of Limewire. Please let us know when it is available to install.