View Single Post
Old July 18th, 2012
ContraBanned

Lord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputation

Instead of showing ip addresses, LW 5 adopted a system of converting their addresses to names instead. Their names will in part give an idea of where they are from but it's a learning experience lol.

LW was never very good at browsing hosts. Sometimes it works, often not. Even harder to browse those uploading from you.

As for always receiving results from one person. I do not know. Maybe spam? There is audio spam. Some audio files are fake. But if you cannot download any of them, then this person might just be a freeloader that has all their upload slots closed. Or else all their upload slots are busy because they share a lot of files.

If LW 5/LPE cannot download the 'hash' of the file within a certain period of time, the download window will say something like cannot download or need more sources, etc. The 'download' hash is the details of the file, so after finishing downloading the actual file, LW rechecks the file versus the hash to be sure they match. I believe it's actually a 'bug' in LPE in that LW gives up too quickly on trying to download the hash of the file. LW 4 seemed to wait much longer in a queue before it gave up. Of course, you could cancel the download and try again.

Something else to keep in mind is people's shared files will still show in search results for a certain period after they have left the network. I am not sure how long it is, perhaps 20-30 minutes. So sometimes you try to download a file and that person is no longer on the network.

Some people also remove their files from their shares during a session. Why? Because they do not really wish to share files. This annoys the heck out of me. They should not share their downloads if they do not wish to share files. It screws up the search results.

I would recommend you block port 27016 for incoming in your firewall, a rule for each of TCP and UDP. This port is only used by spammers.
Might be worthy seeing http://www.gnutellaforums.com/open-d...imewire-7.html to see a list of ip addresses that you might consider banning. As for the actual Hostiles list as posted by AaronWalkhouse, it does not work with any LW 5 or pirate edition version. The Hostiles list uses an out-of-date ip address system.