Thread: 2.4 up grade
View Single Post
Old May 14th, 2002
Apprentice

owl3951 is flying high

as noted above, the correct addess to contact limewire for support for the Pro product is service@limewire.com. you will never get an answer from bugs@limewire.com, because that is not what that address is for.

i got an immediate response from the service department when i emailed them at the correct address. unfortunately, the answer given contradicts the fix limewire has just announced to all Pro users in the general-distribution email sent out today. now i do not know which email to follow. but at least i did get immediate attention, which deserves applause, even if the product itself doesn't.

by that i mean, even when the product works (defined as downloads, loads and connects), it often doesn't really work. you have to use ingenuity to overcome its bizarre behavior, such as when it is saying it is waiting for a reply on every file you are trying to download. all you have to do is shut it down and re-start it, and it will often immediately start downloading files that it was waiting hours to get replies from before you shut it down. or the way it will "re-connect" with the same file for days and say it is downloading it but never does. this, of course, blocks one of your download channels, preventing other files from downloading. the only thing i know to do here is kill that download and start over--which is a pain on large files. sometimes killing the download and searching all over again for the same file results in the same erratic behavior. so you decide you did not want that file anyway. or the way it will start downloading large files over and over again, even tho you have that same file almost complete six times in the Incomplete folder. my guess is that this is a defect in the "Download Any" choice. the only fix i know here is choose "Download All" and then kill the other downloads if you ever get any one of the chosen files to download. and, of course, erase all the large, incomplete downloads from the Incomplete folder.

in spite of all this, i admit i have gotten my six bucks' worth. it would be nice, tho', if limewire would stop hyping limewire as if it is the most wonderful thing, and say instead, "we got this product that will sort of work most of the time, if you can get it to download. that's a pretty good claim for a peer-to-peer environment. it's worth the six bucks." and also get rid of the doubleclick spyware on the limewire site itself. what a cheezy thing to do!