View Single Post
Old October 18th, 2012
ContraBanned

Lord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputation

I was trained in using WordStar. I cannot remember much about it. WordPerfect I also used in both DOS and Windows. I think I used versions 4-6 but might be mistaken. I did like WP's graphics at the time. I vaguely remember something about the formatting for when it needed to be printed.

Something I forgot to mention is MS Word's unorganised use of html and BB Code tags. It throws them all over the place. I see posts created by some moderators on the forum that have obviously been formatted using MS Word. Trying to edit those posts and find which tags belong to which is incredibly difficult. The 'organised' way to use such tags is to place the start and end of the tags as close to each other as possible; ie: where that formatting begins and ends. Word tends to put many of them at the beginning of the document or paragraph, many at the end of the document, some beginning at end of sentences or paragraphs, etc. Very haphazard organisation. It is very difficult to make changes because it is difficult to know which tags belong to which words or sentences. I find it a headache editing such posts.

Adobe do similar hiding of private information as you suggested M$ does. Well, you gave one example that may have been due to Adobe but not exactly the same.
In some work types and work practices such as in the printing industry, providing the licensing information of the Adobe software used is mandatory in some places in the world.

For many years Apple have tried to provide a wysiwyg work environment. They provide a lot of support for their monitors and other devices.
Not forgetting gamma. All graphic input and output devices have a gamma setting of their own. Mac monitors I think are over 2 and Windows monitors under 2. Scanners and printers also have gammas. These may need to be adjusted to suit your computer's monitor or vice-versa. More-so a Windows issue I believe since Mac provides system support for various devices. Though some adjustments might need to be made for some devices that do not provide reliable support. I can't remember too much about it. lol

BASIC was quite easy from memory. And easy to create loops. Using IFs, OR's and ELSEs to send a result back to a particular line of code or to jump/by-pass lines of codes in advance perhaps even to a different module of code.