View Single Post
Old October 21st, 2012
Valued Member

ukbobboy01 will become famous soon enough
Default Firefox Problem?

Hi Joe

Before I offer a possible solution to your problem I think you may have missed that you have posted your problem in the "Phex" part of the forum. This may not go down too well with the moderators, perhaps our postings will be moved to a more appropriate area.

OK, I presume you have the latest version of Firefox which, I believe, is currently version 16.0.1. While I have stopped upgrading my Firefox at version 14.0.1, this is because I learned some time ago that not all upgrades are beneficial.

You see, the thing to bear in mind is that as Microsoft is encouraging users to move from XP to windows 7 and start to roll out windows 8, likewise other application producers will start to move/position their software to take advantage of windows 8 and move away from XP.

Therefore, unless a more technically minded forum member says otherwise, I believe that as more and more application producers start to upgrade their products XP users like you and I will find that those apps will bit by bit stop working with our O/S of choice.

However, if you downgrade your Firefox from 16 back to 14 then your problem will/should vanish.

This is the position I have taken with all my applications, with the exception of my anti-virus and firewall, because I want my applications to work for me and not surreptitiously force me to upgrade my hardware and O/S in order to keep churning my equipment and put money in the pockets of the big boys.

Finally, I must also mention that upgrades also introduce new bugs, recently I had to downgrade my Opera browser from 12.xx back down to 11.64, which I now continually use.

I try to stick to a version of software that hits, what I believe to be, that "sweet spot", i.e. between good functionality and operability.

UK Bob

Last edited by ukbobboy01; October 21st, 2012 at 01:59 PM.