View Single Post
Old November 2nd, 2012
Valued Member

ukbobboy01 will become famous soon enough
Default Home Network (well, sort of)

Hi Guys

I'm looking for help and advice about installing a (kind of) home network, let me explain:

My wife says that my computer is very important to our home and so I should have a spare in case something goes wrong with this one. However, before I start to buy the necessary bits and pieces I think I should have a robust external backup facility.

I know some of you will think that an external HD should be enough, I am currently using one, but of the five (5) units I have bought over the past few years only three (3) now work. And when an external dies everything dies with it.

Now, I have thought of buying a NAS unit, something like this:

NetGear ReadyNAS Duo V2 (2 Bay) - No Drives Included (RND2000-200EUS) - dabs.com

My priorities, listed in order of importance, would be:

1) Full Backup for my PC.

2) Restore full backup to new PC.

3) Off loading my non-important files to (which are taking up space on my PC).

4) Ability to retrieve files as and when required.

5) The ability to stream stored films to my TV, so that the rest of the family can watch them.

6) Allow my son, with my permission, access certain stored files.

Items 5 & 6 should not affect the running of my PC.

OK, as some forum members will know, I am very security minded and would want my NAS unit to be every bit as secure as the PC I am using, even though NAS devices are connected to modem routers I do not want it to have Internet access.

I think that just about covers it, so to summarise:

I am looking for any advice/suggestion for NAS devices that will possibly suit my (currently vague) requirements that forum members can reasonably recommend (and ones to stay away from).

Users experience on using such a device.

Or am I barking up the wrong tree.

As usually, I welcome any questions that forum members may have which will help to clarify their thoughts and help me to crystallise my requirements .

UK Bob

PS: I'm not sure if this makes a difference but I currently use WinXP Pro SP3, as my PCs O/S, and I have no plans to change this.

Last edited by ukbobboy01; November 3rd, 2012 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Adding "and" for clarification.