Thread: Searches
View Single Post
Old May 16th, 2002
dimagor

Angry Re: Searches

Quote:
Originally posted by wjournal
Ever since I started using Limewire at least a year ago, every new version of the software yields fewer and fewer results. I found that in 2.2 and 2.3 I was able to "trick" the program by identifying myself as a T3 rather than a DSL client, and then increase my total number of connections. The more connections I had, the more results I would get, and soon I realized that hard-to-find files were not so hard to find after all if I tweaked my settings. Lo and behold, the latest version of Limewire limits the number of connections for individual users to 12, lowering the potential number of search results and making it difficult again to find hard-to-find files. I understand that increasing the number of connections can clog the system, but my question is why can't I achieve adequate results with 12 connections? There are a number of tests I use to see how well my searches are functioning, i.e.: typing "***" or "***" and seeing how long it takes to get 1,000 hits. It is my feeling that newer versions of the software are resulting in poorer results - specifically the searches are slower and they achieve fewer hits. This makes it difficult to find the more obscure files I am seeking, which I believe is one of the most important features of this service - I also believe the files are out there, but they're not showing up in my searches. Everyone, especially those of us who have paid for Limewire Pro, should have a way of increasing the number of hits we get from our searches, thereby making it easier to find the more obscure files we are looking for.
I agree. I can't find those rare files with only 12 connection. I have a DSL connection, and I connected temporarily to 20 hosts when I had a dial-up. Everything was working fine, but now they limit us!

Last edited by Lord of the Rings; April 11th, 2009 at 01:27 AM.