View Single Post
Old May 16th, 2002
Novicius

tader is flying high
Lightbulb How about a Java Servlet Gnutella WebApp?

Hi People!

Since I have at the University a small Linux box with a huge internet connection, I really would like to have a "Remote Gnutella Client TM".

I played a lot with Hagelslag (commandline and remote running GUI), but it doesn't work as nice as I want it to.

The idea I came up with was to develop a Gnutella client with a web interface.

I recently started developing Java Servlets, and I really like how they work, for example: Once a servlet is loaded, it stays loaded. This makes it possible to keep TCP connections/Files/etc... open while serving the various pages.

Another advantage of using a servlet is that there already does exist a lot Java software (for example Phex) that can be used

My questions:[list=1][*]Would there be a better method for 'remote gnutelling'?[*]Does anybody know if someone has already started such a project?[*]Would it be 'easy' to use Phex for this? (Is the GUI a main part of the application or just an user interface to use it? I started to read some code, but it's a huge project so I still have no clue how it works [*]If I would realy start working on it, should it be a seperate project or an addition to Phex?[/list=1]

Thank you for your time,

Tader