View Single Post
Old April 22nd, 2013
ContraBanned

Lord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputation

I've created a Version 2 Skin installer for Windows and an installer for MacOSX users of LW 4: LimeWire-4 Skin installers (MediaFire).

I've collated some more skins from the following sources:.

1. The skins File_Girl and I collated a couple years ago she divided into two groups, half for LW half for FW. So now I'm making the other half available for each of LW and FW users.

2. A few skins from the LW4 clones. (4 skins)

3. Some custom skins from FW skinners (thanks to Wyrdjax for his 17 skins and great artwork. Thanks to Cootmasters for his bright works and 7 skins.) All skins have been adapted for LW use where needed including logos, etc.

4. Since some people might not have the basic set of skins as someone noted to me, I have also included some of the original skins. Thanks to all the artists and their generosity for sharing their works. (LW 4.12 only came with 5 skins for example. Some were packaged with no extra skins.)

5. I have also included some of my own slightly varied skin versions and one fully custom skin.

I have packaged all the skins together for MacOSX users. Windows skins are MacOSX compatible and probably Linux compatible also. Though MacOSX's couple of default generic skins are not compatible with Windows. This is my first ever list installer for MacOSX.

You can choose to install all the skins or select just the ones you want.
* Advisable to choose custom install. Reason is the Skins menu will only display as many skins as your monitor screen's resolution height allows. So check the skin sample images out first before you install. I estimate a total of only between 35 to 75 skins will be able to be viewable in the Skins menu. You can check the sample skins here http://www.gnutellaforums.com/limewi...le-images.html to help you choose.

(There are a few skins I have not given samples for because I kept getting different results on different Windows versions and FW or LW. Their mystery will remain with your curiosity.)

To reiterate the advice in the first post, sometimes a skin will not load first time you select it. Choose Refresh skins from the Skins menu and choose the skin again and it should change properly.

As a point of reference for the installers and which skins, File_Girl71's LW 4 Skin-Installer-No.1.Win installer includes the following skins:
Black Green theme, . black-red theme, . BLACK, . Camoflage, . colerfull theme, . Custom theme 1, . Dark Blue and Black, . deviantART, . gold & black theme, . gold & silver theme, . Golden, . Google Chrome fresh, . gray1, . Green On Black theme, . hot red theme, . limewire theme, . limewirePro theme, . Lovely Blue, . Lovely Green, . Lovely Purple, . my theme, . Pink and Black, . PRO Tweaked, . Purple'n'Black, . Silver, . Ubuntu, . ultimate, . Vista Aero, . Vista Inspirat 'New', . Vista Inspirat theme, . Vista theme, . Windows Aero 1.0.1, . Yellow & green skin, . Zune.

All other skins listed on the samples page are included in the LW 4 Skin-Installer-No.2.Win installer (about 65 skins). Both versions are included in the MacOSX installer (100 skins).

Creating my first 'full' skin as a total novice called "LOTR Ult", I initially based it off the Ultimate theme but you will notice it has very notable differences. My emphasis was on easy to read text and obvious highlighting of text and menus. The logo was intended to look as though a 6 year old wrote it with unevenly sized and angled letters. I guess I failed this first class at school for writing. I could have redone it more exaggeratedly but decided to leave it as it is so the logo itself does not make people feel uneasy by the intended awkwardness of it. . . The weak point in the skin which fails miserably is the download progress percentage number. This is difficult to read until the progress bar reaches 50%. Despite this, I hope you at least try the skin out to see what you think. Totally customised icons for player and a few other specific icons. Customised program icon, logo and search animation. 3/4 way through doing the icon reminded me of Dark Side of the Moon for some odd reason. Watch it for long enough and you might get the idea. Been using LW since about 2002 yet this is my first skin design as a novice 11 years later.

Skinners note:

Most experienced skinners will already know these points:

- It seems if you use a pre-made folder for the contents of the skin, LW or FW will error when opening these skins. The error will be "Out of Date" skins. Also the contents of the lwtp/fwtp will be within a folder of a folder. The answer seems to be not using a pre-made folder. Instead, simultaneously select all the items you are intending to include with the skin and zip them. Then name the zip as your skin name with the lwtp/fwtp file extension.
- No spaces in the skin name, use underscores if you need a space. Capitals are not necessary as LW/FW will automatically capitalise the first letter in the skins menu.
- Changing file extension problems: I have had problems changing file extension on both Windows 7 and MacOSX. The system still sees the file as being a zip and has a hidden zip file extension regardless of the change you made. Renaming the file extension works fine in Windows XP.

- To change the program name (logo): LW Basic, FrostWire and the LW clones use logo as the filename of the image file. LW Pro uses lw_logo instead. So I packaged both of these with the skins.
- You can change the search icon in FrostWire but only LW versions prior to 4.18. (spinning lime when a search starts.)
You can change the lime.gif (an all search icon and a library icon) in LW but not FW.
- The Splash screen can only be changed for both LW and FW versions prior to 4.16.

Wyrdjax, a previous FrostWire skinner has a fantastic skinning guide here Wyrdjax's Skinning Guide
Simply use .lwtp instead of .fwtp for the file extension if creating skins for LW 4.