View Single Post
Old May 12th, 2013
ContraBanned

Lord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputation
Default Installing LimeWire on Linux and Java - what am I doing wrong?

A total newbie to Linux but I did find some great newbie feeds for information. I'm using Ubuntu Linux 12.04.

However, LimeWire and Java are a total different kettle of fish.

I removed all versions of Java and java settings after continual LW install problems with same message each time.
I installed Sun (Oracle) Java 1.6, because I had no luck with the open source version. (my Ubuntu only runs the 64-bit sun java.)

LimeWirePirateEdition.deb file always tells me it needs either java 6 or 7 but cannot find them. Identical whether I use Software Centre or Terminal. My problem is identical to this [ubuntu] intalling limewire: java dependency does not satisfy. Thus I am unable to install LW 5. That thread does not actually give an answer to the problem, it only says how to install Sun Java.

I tried to install the LW 4.18.8.deb and same issue.

Anybody be able to help here with getting LW 5.deb up and running on Linux?

I then tried the LimeWireOther.zip and finally got LW 4.16 to open. Problem here is each time I open LW, I keep getting asked to do setup again. I tried moving a fresh connection file from desktop to ~/.limewire via terminal but LW would not connect regardless. The only way I was able to connect was to manually add a few hosts and then all was good for connecting each time I started LW4 (and non-firewalled.) This LW4 program folder sits on the desktop.
Edit: Nevermind, after a reboot the need to redo setup problem stopped. I was later able to use LimeWireOther5.4.7.zip without problem and connected fine. But I want to find how to install the LW deb versions successfully. The fact that LW 5.4.7 (Other) works fine with this java leaves me pondering what the problem is with the deb packages.

Or are deb files not intended for Ubuntu? Here someone explains how to get the deb versions to run if not running on a system that supports deb files (similar to the zipped other version.) But if ubuntu supports deb, then I'd like to be able to overcome whatever issue is causing my problem.