View Single Post
Old November 29th, 2013
ContraBanned

Lord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid_android View Post
Hey I installed limewire the other day and at some point (could have been right after installation or perhaps hours later) limewire just stopped running. Didn't freeze, didn't give an error message, just disappeared from the taskbar. I started it up again, and it ran for a couple minutes then did it again...
Two things I can think of. Make sure both Java and LW are running with Administrator permissions. For example, search for java.exe, right-click it & get properties & choose Compatibility tab, go down to the Privilege Level & check the option for Run this program as an administrator.

Something else you could try is changing LW's compatibility mode to another Windows version. You'd need to find the actual LimeWire.exe program in the programs folder to do that. If you use LimeStart then that is not LW itself it only opens LW.

If that does not work, then do a clean install of LW. ie: delete the settings also with exception of the downloads.dat file which is found in the LW preferences folder. Return the downloads.dat file after first opening of LW, but ONLY whilst LW is closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runt66 View Post
Every time i try to play a m4a song with the limewire player , the whole thing closes down totally and itunes opens up and plays the song ...
Seems your version of LW's media player does not support m4a properly if at all. If you have VLC installed on the computer, then how about setting VLC as the default for opening m4a files? ie: select an m4a file & choose open with, select VLC from options & make sure always open with is checked.

If that still causes problems with LW closing, then disable LW's media player. And make VLC default to open all audio types of files. Then there won't be any conflict with LW's media player. If VLC cannot play any audio file you download, you know for sure it is a dud or bad file. VLC is normally very reliable and much more so than either LW's media player or iTunes or WMP. Only question is how well VLC handles incomplete audio files. One advantage of not using LW's media player for previewing incomplete files is there is then no preview files created in the incomplete folder, which can add up in number & disk space after a time.
Using the playlists though, you'd need to work out a system for yourself. You can create playlists in LW & save the .m3u file or whatever it's called to disk then open that with VLC.

Note: just because people don't post questions here as often as they used to, does not mean someone will not try to offer suggestions of possible solutions to your problem. Forums as a whole are less popular than they were last decade. And I suspect some persons thought this forum was related to the now defunct LW company, but is totally independent and members' privacy fiercely protected.