View Single Post
Old December 28th, 2013
Valued Member

ukbobboy01 will become famous soon enough
Default Windows 8.1 & Toshiba Laptop continued

Hi Forum Members

This morning my son was using his laptop as normal, the machine is about 3 weeks old, and suddenly it lost it's wi-fi connection. And of course he came to me to sort out, what else are Dads for.

Anyway, after checking that my modem, wi-fi signal strength and IP addresses were as they should be I checked his laptop. I found that the machine was trying to connect to a different network's wi-fi signal and, what's worse, it could no longer see my modem's wi-fi.

At this stage I felt I had no other choice than to action a previous restore point, 23rd December to be exact. Once done, the laptop regained my modem's wi-fi signal and my son could access the Internet again, and all that was left to do was re-update my son's Norton Internet Security software.

My question is (to anyone out there that may know the answer) how is it possible for Win8.1 to suddenly abandon the Internet signal it is using, seemingly delete that signal and all it's properties, and then try to unsuccessfully connect itself to another wi-fi signal?

Please note, that the laptop has a fully updated copy of Norton Internet Security installed on it, the same software I use, and he never uses the Internet without sand-boxing his browser.

My son is now using his laptop again, without any further difficulty, but the problem I just fixed has me stumped on how it started in the first place.

UK Bob