View Single Post
Old January 1st, 2014
Disciple

taffstuart is a great assister to others; your light through the dark tunnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Rings View Post
For Windows 7, it seems to be very important to set Java to Run as Admin or else your LW will most likely struggle to get a connection.
And your problem appears to be no connection which is why you cannot get any search results.

When you downloaded the offline java installer, it will most likely have been saved into C:\Users\Username\Downloads. So the idea would have been to go to that folder to find the Java installer & set it to run as admin. Alternatively, you can search Java.exe in Start menu & under programs it will show up (right-click & choose Properties, Compatibility tab, check option for Run as Admin. at bottom of that window.)

Attachment 6705

Are you using LimeStart? This starter program will protect your connection file if LW has not been used in previous 30 days.
You might need to use a connection fix installer to install a fresh connection file: LPE Connection Fix installer

I suspect the Java not set to Run as Admin for Win 7 was the cause of the problem after you had re-installed LW.
(My first reply above was when I was about to go to bed after a long night, was new years day here since I'm ahead of USA & Europe in time.)
My first concern is to run Java as Admin and I admit I am totally perplexed as to how you achieve that. I have saved the Offline installation file to C:/users/downloads. I have right clicked on the saved download file and/or also I have then dragged it to my desktop and right clicked on the icon. In both cases there is no 'run as administrator' option on the drop down menu.

I appreciate your helping me on this issue and I am sure you have helped dozens of people to get started over the years, but it gets to the point where it seems impossible to make progress and becomes so frustrating that you wonder whether to bother any more. I have successfully downloaded LimeWire and it starts and gives me all the functionality except the most important one - connectivity. It really should be easier than this. There is a Youtube video showing some processes to follow. I haven't yet tried that because you seem pretty certain that my Java problem is the big hurdle. Please help me get over it.

many thanks

Taffstuart