View Single Post
Old May 28th, 2001
JD

Talking Host Connect

Hi Konrad.
I'll try to explain what I mean:
I use only 2 connections with my limited 50k max bandwidth.
I specify this of course under the Network Setup.
When PHEX starts up, and has lots of hosts in the host catcher, it will only try to connect to 2 hosts (which is what I specified).
As not every host can be connected to successfully, it will try to next and so forth.
Because it ever tries only 2 (or whatever is specified under Network setup) it takes quite a while.
If it would try 10 simultaniously, regardless of what is specified in Network setup, it would drastically reduce the time PHEX needs to find hosts which except connections. (I believe Limewire does that too!).
If it tries 10 instead of only 2, the time required to find 2 open hosts is not 3 or 5 minutes (my case) but should be 1/5 or so, e.g. less than one minute!
Once PHEX has found 2 hosts (or whatever is pecified), it stops all the other trys on host connections.
Now another improvement would be, that if already connected to let's say my 2 hosts, that if one becomes unavailable, then PHEX could be searching maybe 5 hosts (from the host catcher) to find another good one, and not just one.
It is all about speeding up the time that one gets the connections up and keeping them up.
I find that at the moment it is rather slow to connect, and when one connection fails, it takes again too long to find another good host, cause it looks like PHEX is ever only looking at the number of hosts it is supposed to keep up.
It should try more then that, until connected.
Phuh - I should have made it clear now, or?

Am looking forward to your next version!

And for everyone else: Make sure you enable the 'Passive Search' in 'Monitor Search'.
It is an amazing feature! It comes up with more and better search answer at times then the main search window!

Joe