View Single Post
Old March 23rd, 2015
Novicius

deadlyhead is a great assister to others; your light through the dark tunnel
Angry Problems with modem/router connections.

First the preliminaries
1. OS version? Win XP Admin account
2. What firewalls you have? None in software, but see 14 below.
3. How much ram? 2Gig
4. Hard Disk space available? 45 Gig
5. Connection type? DSL
6. Modem & router brand name & model numbers? Smart RG Model SR350N
7. Where are you trying to connect from: house
8. What version of LimeWire WireShare 5.6.4.1
9. Who is your ISP (Internet Service Provider)? Dobson Telephone Company
11. Are you sharing the connection with other computers or p2p sharing programs? Other computers are on router. No other p2p active processes on them.
12. This a new problem with an experienced user.
13. I am …”behind a firewall and support firewall transfers” as shown on the Advanced Tools page.
14. For those using a modem/router, how is your modem/router set up...are you port forwarding or is UPnP enabled? I have no access to the router settings. They are controlled by the ISP and they will not give me the password.
15. What security programs are you using (antivirus etc)? AVG 2014
16. What country are you living in? USA
17. Has anything in your setup changed recently? The ISP installed a new modem/router. See 14.

Now for the PROBLEM.
The ISP recently installed the new router from Item 6. As per Item 14 I do not have access to the controls of this modem/router. I have asked them to turn off any firewalls in the modem/router and they have said they have done so but, I have the following problems;

1. Connections are slow (never higher than 10KB/s) with only 1 to 3 sources available for each file.
2. System only operates in leaf node mode. I no longer become an ultrapeer no matter how long I am connected.
3. It takes 30 to 60 minutes of connection time before I will get some host connections. It takes up to 5 hours to fill the 5 ultrapeer host slots, if I can stay connected that long. See next item.
4. Usually (50% of the time) within 1 to 6 hours, all the hosts will disappear and ‘NO INTERNET CONNECTION’ will be displayed at the bottom of the page. (Other internet activity is not affected i.e. web browser still working) At this point, only torrents are transferring (at an even slower rate) and all other files become stalled. Soon, the Advanced Tools page will quit polling for new hosts. The only way to recover from this is to restart WireShare.

Of course, I think the problem stems from the new router and the ISP locking down the modem. So, my questions are:

1. Anyone else having these problems?
2. Anyone know a way around this problem? (tunnels, proxy servers, black magic?)
3. Would any other p2p program work better?
4. I have seen a message saying that Gnutella is not connected, but file transfers are available. Does WireShare operate on another network (ed2k?) when the Gnutella portion is not working?

Thanks in advance for any help.