View Single Post
Old July 16th, 2015
Novicius

Downcastnut is a great assister to others; your light through the dark tunnel
Default Questions about sharing

Hello,

I have a couple questions about how sharing in the old Limewire worked because I am afraid that I could've accidentally shared personal files with the network and I'd like some peace of mind.

So I'm on a Mac and I downloaded Limewire back before 2010. The version that I had made three folders in the Limewire folder. They were called shared, saved, and incomplete. I had put some sensitive files in the saved folder to keep them safe back in 2012 (hah that was a mistake). I 'locked' the folder with a password using the Mac finder permissions so that I couldn't open it unless I typed in my password. Since then I had never opened Limewire (maybe once or twice because of a misclick, but immediately closed it), updated it, or used it in any way. During all of this I would unlock the folder occasionally but then lock it again.

Now my questions, is it possible the files in the saved folder could've been shared with the network with these circumstances? It would be surprising to me that Limewire would share the files if I never had Limewire open. I have also read that files in the saved folder that were not downloaded by limewire are not shared. Is this true?

If anyone knows the answer I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks