View Single Post
Old April 21st, 2019
ContraBanned

Lord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputation

Would you be willing to try WireShare 5.6.6? This version seeks more than just a single GWebCache site for hosts. It also has updatable hostiles file. Some bug fixes. Different set of GUI icons.
See if that improves things.

I suspect your WireShare (WSHR) has very good average uptime. There is no reason why WSHR should struggle to connect.

You could delete the WSHR settings file but this would mean you will lose all record of previous average uptime and any port forwarding rule you might have set. If you had port forwarded for WSHR then you would need to re-add that in the program settings next time you started WSHR. (Settings > Advanced > Listening Port.)

If you decide to try deleting the WSHR settings folder, WSHR must be closed at that time. Likewise if you add any host file (gnutella.net). Delete the entire WSHR settings folder. Then start WSHR and re-do any necessary settings within the program like you previously had. Any improvement?

Do you normally port forward your p2p sharing programs? If not, it might be worthy of a considering. But each program will need a different port of operation.

I run WireShare (WSHR) 24/7 as an ultrapeer. Only thing I’ve noticed over the past couple of years is at times WSHR goes through periods of struggling to reach the minimum 27 peers (dropping down to 22 or so.) A lowering of average uptimes required in the code might help in this scenario when I notice hosts ignored due to low uptimes. WireShare has identical connection requirements as LimeWire did, however the network population is a small fraction of the size it was in those days and should not be quite so demanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaragdus View Post
Off-topic 1
do you know whether WireShare and Shareaza have been abandoned for good just like Cabos, Gnucleus and Phex?
Neither WireShare or Shareaza have been abandoned. Bigjx simply has not released a WSHR update for a year or two. I believe his objective was simply to get the program working as it should be. Whereas my objective had been to improve the program and both re-add tools from LW 4 and new tools. However bigjx was not interested in this.

I’ve noticed an off-shoot Shareaza version. I suspected this was by one of the previous Shareaza devs. It uses a program id of RAZI instead of RAZA to represent Ivan’s version. It’s last code work was late 2018. But like various programs, unless there’s a major change or lots of little code changes over a period of time, a new release is often delayed until it’s deemed worthy of bothering people with the update. You should keep in mind Shareaza has not updated its G1 code in 15 or more years and is extremely elementary and notably outdated. Due to Shareaza relying upon TCP for searching and some other communications, it causes the network a lot of extra traffic and bandwidth overhead. The more modern programs only allow a percentage of such outdated programs to connect to them. Thus Shareaza hosts are heavily competing for available G1 connections.

There have been having some issues with working on the Phex project, it has a totally different compiling system to the Lime code programs. But compiling Phex is not the problem. Cabos is complicated in the sense it uses a different GUI compiling system and requires a specific independent software to compile the GUI. I’m also a member of the WSHR team in theory. I worked directly with bigjx between 2014-15 on WSHR but only worked upon peripheral things since, such as updating the hostiles. I’m more of a concept coordinator member in the projects, my coding skills are quite basic and weak. I could definitely do with some help. I definitely need help! I know the bugs, weaknesses and improvements needed for these programs. I’m almost embarrassed to say I’m members of projects where either nothing has been publicly released or little has been done so far. I'm all ears for anybody who knows Java coding. I either set all out to get something achieved or fall into procrastination if I get stuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaragdus View Post
Off-topic
Both yesterday and today I had problems posting here, screen: …

… Is this supposed to happen?
No, definitely not. But has been a periodic problem with the forum for some years. It can be highly annoying when the forum is misbehaving like that. Mainly when replying to a post and potentially finding my reply was totally lost and I need to try to remember what I wrote. I sometimes copy what I wrote before pressing the reply button.
I can only apologise to affected people.

Last edited by Lord of the Rings; May 25th, 2019 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Removed some I's which 'I' strongly prefer not to use