View Single Post
Old May 4th, 2019
Disciple

smaragdus is a great assister to others; your light through the dark tunnel

@Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Would you be willing to try WireShare 5.6.6? This version seeks more than just a single GWebCache site for hosts. It also has updatable hostiles file. Some bug fixes. Different set of GUI icons.
See if that improves things.
In fact I was using WireShare version 5.6.6.0 since it was released and it had been working just fine before a while ago it stopped connecting.

Quote:
If you decide to try deleting the WSHR settings folder, WSHR must be closed at that time. Likewise if you add any host file (gnutella.net). Delete the entire WSHR settings folder. Then start WSHR and re-do any necessary settings within the program like you previously had. Any improvement?
I did all I could think of. First I created a back-up of my profile folder. Then deleted the profile folder and started the program- no effect. I uninstalled the program, cleared all its data and installed it anew- no effect.

However I found error.log file and kept it. Shall this file throw some light upon the cause of the problem? If needed I can upload it.

My version of Java was not the latest one, in fact it was an old version- Java JRE 8 Update 151, I updated it to version Java JRE 8 Update 211, installing both x32 and x64 versions- no effect. I have other Java programs (for example the latest version of BiglyBT - 1.9.0.0 and it works just fine). So I cannot find a way to make WireShare connect.

Quote:
Do you normally port forward your p2p sharing programs?
No.

Quote:
Neither WireShare or Shareaza have been abandoned. Bigjx simply has not released a WSHR update for a year or two.
Does this mean that WireShare and Shareaza are developed by one and the same person?

Quote:
You should keep in mind Shareaza has not updated its G1 code in 15 or more years and is extremely elementary and notably outdated. Due to Shareaza relying upon TCP for searching and some other communications, it causes the network a lot of extra traffic and bandwidth overhead. The more modern programs only allow a percentage of such outdated programs to connect to them. Thus Shareaza hosts are heavily competing for available G1 connections.
Gnutella 1 code that Shareaza uses might be archaic but at least it works:

Shareaza connects almost immediately. While WireShare, which might be using more modern Gnutella 1 code, just fails to connect. gtk-gnutella manages to connect also almost immediately. When all my file sharing programs connect just fine (Shareaza, gtk-gnutella, SoulseekQt, AirDC++, eMule, Ares, Fopnu, etc) I am inclined to suppose that the problem is not withing my system. Is there anything that I can try using Advanced Tools - Add a Connection? I am far from being an expert but I think that Shareaza is far more flexible in diagnosing and resolving connection problems.

Quote:
I’m a member of both the Cabos and Phex (recent) dev teams.
Both Cabos and Phex are abandoned for good, right?

I would appreciate if someone creates a portable program for Gnutella- a portable version would have significant advantages- one could run and test it with different profiles. Most torrent clients can run in portable mode or offer fully portable versions (Tixati, Halite, BitComet, etc) but unfortunately this is not the case with Gnutella clients- they are either abandoned or the development is extremely slow. I am not aware of a single Gnutella client that supports portability and since the general public has almost entirely lost interest in Gnutella I suppose that a portable Gnutella client will never come to existence.

If you are still in contact with the developer of WireShare please advise him to release a new version which would resolve the connectivity problems- I see that I am not the only one plagued by failed connections.

Off-topic questions- do you know why Ares is no longer hosted on SourceForge? It is no longer open source? Is there a way to disable check for updates and automatic downloads of the latest version of Ares? Can Cabos, Gnucleus and Phex still work on modern OS? Have you ever tried Fopnu (https://www.fopnu.com/) and if you have- what do you think?

I could not respond earlier- I was very busy. I finally found time to come back to WireShare but I could not make it connect. Anyway, thank you for all the detailed information you have provided, I do appreciate your willingness to help.