View Single Post
Old May 20th, 2002
Brain updates D/Ld on P2P

MacTerminator is flying high

Quote:
Originally posted by VTOLfreak
Cut & Paste was introduced in SUN JRE 1.4.0 .
But 80-90% of the people are still hanging on to 1.3.1_02 for their own idiotic reasons .
And that version doesn't support Cut & Paste .
LW runs even smoother using JRE 1.4.0 .
I can't see a single reason why they want to keep using 1.3.1_02 .
That may well be true for Windows and Linux, but unfortunately Mac users don't have an option:

MacOS X only has JRE 1.3.1 available and Mac OS 9.x users are stuck with Apple's MRJ 2.2.5 which is based on Sun's JRE 1.1.8 . So Limewire on the Mac - esapecially on 9.x - is buggy, bloated and with no mouse wheel or cut'n'paste. Though, obviously, there isn't much the LW team can do about this other than write a native version of Limewire for Mac (not likely).

We can only hope that JRE 1.4 is forthcoming for OSX (OS9 is on its way out so don't hold out any hopes for an advance on MRJ 2.2.5).

This is one of the problems for LW development as a lot of users , myself included, can become confused about which features or bugs are due to the Limewire code and which are related to limitations in the Java virtual machine (for example mouse wheel or cut & paste).

As for Windows users , I agree with VTOLfreak and would advise any one who can to upgrade to JRE 1.4 as I've seen that Limewire runs much better.

Last edited by MacTerminator; May 20th, 2002 at 04:59 PM.