View Single Post
Old March 9th, 2020
Disciple

nmatavka is a great assister to others; your light through the dark tunnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Rings View Post
The project had not been costing anything. Why the sudden costs and why the sudden push to gain money?
SourceForge and Github should not be costing anything at all for a free open source project. I've opened projects without any setup or running costs.

Exactly what warrants the program to be pushed to version 6, a major release. What 'major' improvements have been made? What major improvements will people see in the program's performance? Did you fix all the bugs before considering making changes? (this is normally the logical thing to do.)
Do you know what are the bugs in the program? (I certainly know what several of them are.)

This was not a bugfix release. The primary improvement was an update to Java 11+ compatibility. Previously it worked with Oracle Java 8 only, and was subject to its limitations; OpenJDK 8 didn't work either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Rings View Post
Cost who exactly? bigjx made no mention of costs and was surprised about you switching things around. You show up once or twice every year or three and want to make drastic changes without discussing things with the actual coder. You are not the coder. Anybody can open a project but that does not make them the king of all decisions particularly when they are not coders.

Just curious.

Not sure why you feel you should be getting money out of the project. (Greed?)

I'm not making a cent out of this. I decided to jump back into the WireShare project after a leave of absence for study purposes, and because it wasn't compatible with Java 11 or greater (latest test release is Java 14) I decided to hire people (yes, for money) to get this functionality coded in.

Because the improvements have already been made, I'm slightly above $500 out of pocket (coder asked for $20/hour, which was low end compared to some other bids). I want to recoup sunk costs, and possibly have money to continue hiring people to fix bugs. The biggest bug that I've seen, from extensive testing, is the "welcome window", which is coded in HTML and displayed with Mozilla XULRunner. This seems to rub Java the wrong way, so the HTML doesn't always display and it goes to fallback.

If BigJX is having issues with what I've done, I'm happy to speak with him and iron out some sort of roadmap so we're on the same page.