View Single Post
Old March 13th, 2020
Disciple

nmatavka is a great assister to others; your light through the dark tunnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Rings View Post
I guess it's the making of overriding decisions without discussing it with other members of the team. Did you ask the other members of the project if you should hire devs? Nobody asked you to hire the devs. Did you ask bigjx whether you should shift java versions? It appears to be up to your whims and that can be a little irritating, particularly when the most active members of the project are totally left in the dark.

The hiring of the devs was not a team decision, it was yours and your choice to be at a personal expense.

How do you define the word 'team'?

I understand where you are coming from and how you feel. I can't begin to understand how BigJX feels; I would not be happy if somebody wrested control of the team's direction from me, either.

That said, I believe this is one big misunderstanding, and I am fully prepared to accept some degree of fault for this. What happened was that I had need of WireShare for work reasons (I now run a software startup, so you can imagine WHY I needed it)... anyway, as soon as I opened it up, there was serious performance degradation on my (moderately old) computer, the kind you don't see with other Java apps. Linux support was nonexistent. It also refused to connect for half a day, notwithstanding my new GNUTELLA.NET file, firewall gone, whatever I did it took its sweet time.

I attempted to reach out to BigJX several times before pulling the Git logs, seeing that there hadn't been any changes checked in over a few months, concluding that he'd quit the team (my mistake), and then transitioning the codebase over to Bitbucket for testing (it'll be moved back to Github very soon).

That was when I did my research, found that Java 11 can offer serious performance improvements because a "vendored" version can be cut up in such a way that only the necessary parts of it are included, and hired the appropriate manpower.

I understand this is no way to run a team and I apologise to BigJX and everyone else involved. I am trying to fold WireShare into my organisation, simply so that we can share infrastructure; there's no question of this turning into a for-profit business, or anything like that, just trying to gain users and turn this into a full-time thing rather than a spare-time project.

I am happy to work with BigJX again if he'll forgive me for the way I've run the team. He and the community have my unqualified apologies.