View Single Post
Old March 14th, 2020
WireShare Developer

BigJx is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmatavka View Post
I attempted to reach out to BigJX several times before pulling the Git logs, seeing that there hadn't been any changes checked in over a few months, concluding that he'd quit the team (my mistake), and then transitioning the codebase over to Bitbucket for testing (it'll be moved back to Github very soon).
I do not recall receiving any messages either here or at SourceForge from you. As LOTR has said, I am somewhat slow at times to respond due to traveling and work and I do need to get better at acknowledging the receipt of messages.

Up until now the main contributors to the code have been LOTR and I. I am not a java coder nor do I have any formal training in any coding language. I am self-taught and learn as I go. The WSHR source is also very complex and massive as you well know and I for one welcome any help updating it and making it better. It was original written in Java 6 for 32bit machines and works well if you have 32bit Java installed. These days that is not always possible or practical especially with macOS. The reason why it uses the fallback browser for the home screen when you have 64bit java installed is because the embedded browser was MozSwing. MozSwing was 32bit and uses a customized 32bit version of XULrunner 2.0.

We have a Developers discussion board at SF where we, as the developers, can discuss the issues and direction of the project. Also, if you need a custom version for your own purposes you could have started a fork with your custom changes such as; icons, color scheme, and branding without changing those items in the master code.

BigJx