View Single Post
Old April 17th, 2020
ContraBanned

Lord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputation
Default Things to consider about LAN address to choose for setting up static internal LAN address

Hope you don't mind me adding an addendum to my answer. I wish to make a point that you or other persons should take into consideration.

Regardless of using UPnP, Port Forwarding or Port Triggering, all of these can occasionally take longer than usual to kick into action and start working. I am not sure the reason.

One comment I’d like to make about setting up a static address on your local LAN:
For a user on a home network, the router generally reserves the .1 address for the modem-router. The modem-router LAN address will depend on the specific brand and model of modem-router. Examples: 10.1.1.1, 192.168.1.1
That leaves the remainder of .2 through to .255 to use within the sub-net mask.

An issue I experienced was after being away for a month my partner’s iPad had taken my computer’s LAN address in the meantime meaning my computer ended up using the next available LAN address. This meant all the port forward rules for the original LAN address became broken and no longer worked for my computer.

Router’s generally allocate LAN addresses sequentially from .2 onward.

So if your household has many devices that access the internet you might need to think about the above scenario. Such devices might be other computers, Tablets, Mobile phones, Game consoles, TV’s, Wristwatches, Ebook readers, Digital cameras, Smart Home devices, Appliance Controllers, etc.

To overcome this possible problem I recommend setting a static LAN address starting at a much higher number such as .30 or .50, but you could also use .100 or anything up to .255 to be on the safe side so there are no possibilities of LAN address clashes after your device has been switched off for a period of time.