View Single Post
Old May 29th, 2001
Enthusiast

bodhi is flying high
Question One question about encrypted packets

I posted this question deep in another thread here, but I think it deserves it's own. Perhaps someone will actually answer it.

I really have only one big question about the so-called "spy packets" which Vinnie has not seen fit to properly explain. Perhaps someone will be able to respond in an adult manner and satisfy my concerns.

Why are these data packets necessary at all? I understand that they are used to trigger the update notice that Bearshare displays when a new version is available. But the question is, why has Vinnie felt it necessary to munge the Gnutella Protocol to accomplish this? Why can't users simply check for themselves at the Bearshare site to see if a new version is available. This is the way it is done most everywhere else. Or at the very least make this an option that the user can choose and approve or disapprove, like Symantec does when it *ASKS* it's users if they would *LIKE* to install Liveupdate with their AntiVirus products. Or the way that Microsoft does when it *ASKS* it's users if they would like to use the automated Windows Update features. Instead, Vinnie makes modifications to the Gnutella Protocol, uses encrypted data packets, and does not ask his users if they even *WANT* to be notified about new versions. Why is its necessary to force this on the users. This question has NEVER BEEN ADDRESSED. Does anyone have an answer to it?

Certainly anyone should be able to understand the reason many are concerned about this. There is a tremendous potential for abuse in the use of these encrypted packets. We are told that they are harmless, but how can we be SURE that they are harmless? We are expected to take Vinnie's word for this. But unfortuantely Vinnie has not done much here recently to bolster his credibility.

So ... anyone have an answer to this simple question?