View Single Post
Old July 16th, 2021
ContraBanned

Lord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc View Post
... In WireShare 6.0.1 Options, the Transfers tab, Configure Torrent Settigns button, there should be "Seed forever" by default, current 1 day seeding only is too strict.
Originally it was for longer, but due to (legal) pressure the LimeWire developers changed this. At least that is what I was told when I had the same concern over a decade ago. Unless I am confusing this with FrostWire version 4.

Personally I agree with your concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc View Post
Also on Transfers tab in Options i think should be ~/Downloads, not ~/WireShare/Saved/
One problem there is I see a lot of users on the network of various gnutella programs that share from their default downloads folder. They also accidentally share other files they may have downloaded via their web browser. This sometimes includes private information.

Just now looking at a particular host presently running on the network, their share statistic is:
196612/8,192 bytes

That's a total of 8 KB. Divide that by 196612 to get the average file size. Bytes becomes bits.

I am unable to browse the host to verify what kind of rubbish they are sharing. I doubt the host user is aware of this. But it is just this kind of accidental file sharing that is best avoided where possible. With WireShare having its own distinct downloads (& share) folder, this problem is minimized.

Your final point is also a good point. Though based off LimeWire 5, the LW 5 version was rebuilt from the ground up and intended to imply simplicity in its visual design compared to LW 4.