View Single Post
Old August 13th, 2022
ContraBanned

Lord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputation

I have identified two issues (problems.)

1. First is dealing with the installation. The Unknown Publisher is something you need to deal with for older applications.

Frostwire wont install-install-unknown-publisher.png

Then of course, allowing the app Windows Defender permissions:
Frostwire wont install-frostwire-windefender.png

FrostWire's lack of an option to disable Update notifications always annoyed me; such a dangerous choice by the last developer of the project.
Frostwire wont install-frostwire-update-popup.png

2. After installation, I found FrostWire was crashing immediately after startup. It turns out this is due to the earlier Java versions having a limit on their version number (thus the way FrostWire was designed.) Java now often uses more numbers to represent sub-versions of Java (java update version is greater than 256.) WireShare fixed this issue by replacing the icu utility but unfortunately for FrostWire, the only answer I can think of is to use an older java version. I'm using Java 8 which is showing the issue.

Code:
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid version number: Version number may be negative or greater than 255 at com.ibm.icu.util.VersionInfo.getInstance(Unknown Source)
But only if this crashing at startup is applicable to you.

Where to get other versions of Java:
You should probably uninstall any present version of java. I recall in the past it was possible to have more than one version that might or might not cause issues.
(note: the larger JDK are developer versions, the smaller JRE versions are what most Windows users would use)

Java Archives (need to register and login): https://www.oracle.com/java/technolo...loads/archive/

Java 6 for MacOS and Windows (32 and 64-bit): https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9qm3b7mi5do31/LWJav (3rd-party hosting site)
(Too many linux variations to include.)