View Single Post
Old May 22nd, 2002
Novicius

Phantomix is flying high
Default The problem...

Me and many others have written down the problem with Bearshare more than one time, i don't give you the link here, i'll repeat it for you:

bearshare does:
- Blocking 0.4 clients without a technical reason (only a personal one against discontinued old xolox which was really GREAT in the past)

- include Spyware.. OK it CAN be turned of at one point in the installation. But there are many users who DON'T know what spyware is or that it stays on their system even if Bearshare is uninstalled.

- rule the GDF in a destructive way... ok there were some productive proposals, but it seems that Freepeers tries to force the own marketing concept to the whole network, like "eat that or die" (die means get blocked, see above)

- BS tries to tell the user that it's a BearShare Network, and not a Gnutella network.
The user never gets any information why e.g. the % Free peers in the horizon is that high... (clustering). it looks as if Gnutella = Bearshare plus 2-3% other clients, and that's far away from the truth!

- it sends proprietary Data / encrypted packets... ok vinnie told in one thread that this would be "optional", but turned on by default......

-BS clusters own clients.. that wouldn't be THAT bad, but in adittion to the other "features" it is a very poisonous mix for the network, it means that BS as separated from the net as Vinnie wants, that's called the BS black hole.

I hope you understand now... please read also threads like Gnutella has a problem or OpenSource P2P Debate, it's about choice

i hope that helped you understanding that we only try to help the network, I, and much other people believe that BS leaving would be healthier for the network than Gnutella with BS.